Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Artist: Carl Fudge

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 

"They're Everywhere"

Carl Fudge is an artist that uses traditional printmaking techniques mixed with digital technology to create a kaleidoscope effect out of geometric shapes and planes of vibrant colors. He is widely educated, having attended three institutions, and shows his artwork all around the U.S. and internationally. Fudge has also taught at Columbia University, the Tyler School of Art, and the Rhode Island School of Design. In his pieces, he uses a range of materials such as Japanese woodcuts and digitized images making them abstract and barely unnoticeable from the original pieces.   

"Tattooed Blue"

Fudge's works have abstract clashing of shapes but a unity of color and balance that help give it a aesthetically pleasing quality. There is a mixture of hard-edge painting and digital manipulation in Fudge's pieces, and I find that those characteristics help exemplify the frenzied and wild patterns that he creates from just lines and colors. The images are often unrecognizable but the viewer can still observe perceptible objects. In "They're Everywhere" it shows a toy robot reaching to the edge of the print, and in "Tattooed Blue" the viewer can discern a woman crying and crouching with her hair falling around her body. Although the pieces may be difficult to make out, Fudge successfully captures and stimulates the viewers' minds because the crazy patterns make its visually perplexing but interesting. 

I enjoy and appreciate Carl Fudge's work because I find them to be very unique. The abstractness of his works tell a story and make it easy for the viewer to get lost in the dazzling patterns of lines and colors. I believe that Fudge's pieces are incredible and he successfully uses art with a digital medium because they are visually pleasing in every aspect. To some the patterns might be too hectic, but I think he does a wonderful job of using the whole canvas to balance out the complexity and beauty of the work as a whole. Overall, I think Fudge creates masterpieces by using raw material and turning them into digitized, abstract images because he allows for a conceptual story to be told. This goes to show that creative expression can be made with any medium or tools and it emphasizes that digital art has come a long way. 


9 comments:

  1. I find Fudge's work to be aesthetically stimulating and calming at the same time. Both pieces are very busy with countless repetitive patterns; my eyes had difficulty taking it all in. However, the ranges of blue are visually calming and contrast the hectic designs. It is an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Fudge's work is quite lovely despite being visually overstimulating. However, I have real difficulty discerning the toy robot and crouching woman. In a way, I think I enjoyed the pieces more without knowing the story they are meant to depict; the abstract patterns and color combinations are quite unique and soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting to see how you can alter anothers artwork. But i find it even more interesting to create an abstract image from non-abstract art. I know it is very difficult for me to simplify a form(s).

    Fudge create images that are totally different from the original, and he could possibly take full credit for his works because his ideas are so original and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of taking art pieces from the past and manipulating them to make them modern and personal to the artist.Fudge seems to have a truly trademark style in his work which leads me to believe that his art is a genuine expression of himself. I wonder how he chooses the art he works with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I COMPLETELY agree with the 2nd comment. I tried so hard to see the images of the crouching woman or the toy robot, and it kind of hurts my brain trying to keep searching for both images lol. Before I saw the detailed descriptions of both images I thought it was a digital representation of reflections of people and images in rippled water - which I wish it was instead because it would make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Carl Fudge's artwork and how he uses few colors to create a great piece of artwork. I think that even if some of the images that are beneath these pictures may be hard to find, the digital art is definitely interesting. I like that there is an underlying picture to the art, but I don't think I would have been able to find it without being told it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pieces really are charming. I was on the same page as Sachiya when i first saw these abstracts because without knowing what they are based off of I couldn't help but think that they were digitally rendered images of water. That's still how I like to think of them which has a lot to do with what Kathleen said about how the works are an expression of Carl. I would even take it a step further and say that the audience will project their own ideas on to the pieces making it an extension of the artist and the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me, despite the calm color palette chosen, both of these works seem a bit too frenzied. The heavy, geometric shapes lash and lick at contrasting colors, and yet somehow they are constrained by thin black lines. I also agree with the other comments; I do not see the images they are supposed to represent in the piece at all. Nonetheless, Fudge's use of digital media used is impressive, and I understand that Fudge's art serves its purpose exactly, which is to both confuse the audience and pique interest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. selling http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380675855956

    ReplyDelete